For a week, the role-playing game community has been wondering who or what cared so goddamn much about porn actor, painter and DM Zak S and RPGSite owner/opinion-mongerer RPGPundit that it bothered to smear them all over the internet when the Fifth Edition of Dungeons And Dragons was released with their names listed as contributors.
Some asked: Was the controversy a sign of the times? Was it merely just desserts from years of inflammatory RPG blogging by the pair of prolific pontificators? Was it a consequence of the nature of the emergence of a new internet-influenced paradigm of cultural production? Was it a symptom of a larger toxicity in the Dungeons & Dragons community? It turns out that, no, it was a company called Funhaver Games.
Rather than just say what the rest of the RPG community said ("These two completely suck but they have good game ideas--sometimes--I guess. Hey read my blog I have a Shadowrun hack for Savage Worlds") the company--named in reaction to Lamentations of the Flame Princess author James Edward Raggi IV's essay "I Hate Fun" and associated with the ailing Nightfall kickstarter abandoned by admitted liar Bryan "Gau" Schwaderer--adopted a far more interesting response, imagining themselves seeing a cigar-smoking game reviewer beating up gay men in the street or fantasizing about being followed home by a wheelchair-pushing porn star missing half of his hair.
|So he lied about money, and he lied about Zak …|
|…so why would you think he's lying again?|
A glance at Funhaver's twitter following confirms a shockingly high proportion of the struggling game company's friends, allies and contributors have attacked TheRPGPundit, Zak, or both, including:
- Longtime RPGnet irritant Neko Ewen/Ewen_Cluney
- Blog-hit hound Jussi Martilla
- Funhaver proprietor and Dongion regular Mikan/ Tablehop/ Schmelz
- Topher Gerkey, pro-clothing, anti-porn-actress-activist and author of Princess Drive X
- Sub Rosa author and noted evidence lacker Andri Erlingsson
- Rageforum-turned water-muddying twitter account grognards.txt
- Jess Purdy author of the barely-read Gamer XP
- and die-hard story-gamer Chris Chinn/Bankuei/Yelosun whose D&D Basic release-day blog entry suggests he thinks the consultants want to kill him
…along with an assorted bumper crop of those who have retweeted insulting things about the Lenny and Squiggy of RPGs*
When asked for comment, a spokesman for Funhaver replied "ArrgrhguggugglebargggleTry my Monsterhearts hack!"